Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Friday 20 December 2013

Currently writing a particularly heinous brand of essay on how photographer Eugene Atget's work sits in the context of fin de siècle Paris which is proving the most epic calibre of ball-ache in my life, and it's Christmas.

My MA woe, combined with our designer team being offered considerable bucks for doing overtime at work has resulted in several near fatigue-induced breakdowns and a distinct lack of photography posts lately. Regardless, I have found some spare time and will resume posting in installments, this first one of which consists of a boxing match I went to recently, and some Brassai-appropriating night photography that I still can't be bothered to set up a new blog for.




To offer this whole thing a little context it's prudent to mention a guy I went to school with recently turned pro and was one of the fighters at this event. Furthermore, my father and I, in a bid to emote with one another in the face of the final catastrophic realisation that I will never enjoy watching football with him, have been working through the limited options of mutual interest we have left. Tattoos was one of them, another, believe it or not, is boxing. Because everyone enjoys watching people skillfully beat the shit out of eachother without the introduction of boring homoerotic strangleholds like in UFC and cagefighting. 






Reading by Night



River at 8am
]

River at 8pm
]





In reading about Atget and his documentation of the 'everyday' Paris of his time, I've also taken a more general interest in my own town - renowned as it is for being a sordid corner of the M4 corridor regarded as England's 'Silicone Valley', captors of Oscar Wilde, and producer of cynical comedians. Training oneself to pay attention to the significance of the commonplace isn't something I find easy; but I've made a few photographs I'm quite happy with, particularly the below graffiti outside the Microsoft offices which reads 'Deja Vu Again?' which summarises this place pretty well:


Putting paid to corporate office drones on their way to work whilst working in offices ourselves and living in one of the most economically robust towns to ride out the recession is what we're good at here. Viva la revolution. Hypocrisy FTW...




No comments:

Post a Comment