Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Thursday 2 January 2014

Feel good last hit of 2013

My New Year was spent ill as shit in bed. Rather than seeth that I wasn't out having fun with all the other people drinking, laughing, fighting and being sexually assaulted, however, I took the opportunity to edit through some photographs taken in the closing weeks of 2013.

I also found this somewhat cathartic as New Year being a rather morbid time wherein I need to drink heavily to avoid thinking about the finite number of New Years I will ever actually see, was this time complemented by my latest interest in the brain scrambling post-modernist nonsense of David Foster Wallace who, well, let's face it, so thoroughly dissects what it means to be human today makes it all seem somewhat pointless.

Anyway I digress..

Concerning the below photograph which I really quite like, I recall mentioning on here about collating portraits of Dutty into a stand-alone project - I've actually just tried finding the older post where I originally mentioned that but can't, indicating I really do have too many photos on here and should probably build that website that's been 7-years-coming.
I think one of the things I most like about this guy is his ability to wear whatever the fuck he wants and through the sheer force of violent temperament he exudes somehow get away with it. I don't mean the below photograph specifically, but moreso the farmer caps and string vests he rocks in Summertime like he's Irish in Boston - without anyone uttering a word to contend him. 




Portrait of Dutty, The Oracle shopping centre, Reading




Portrait of Mikey

Lawrence & Nick


Em and I have been frequenting the theater more often of late. First checking out Radcliffe in the Cripple of Inishmaan, a result of which I am forced to admit he really can act and it's probably just the character of Harry Potter that's wooden and useless. This time we went to check out Jude Law in Henry V.
I have to admit that even with a black matte-finish camera that borders on silent, I still have on on-going feud with the Draconian theater staff who prevent me from taking photographs in a performance. I get how that's something only a Heat magazine reading prole would do, but as someone who likes documenting things to the extent it hinges on unwell, I really do feel I've lost a part of myself every time I leave the place without evidence of the visit.

Em at Paddington Station, en route to Jude Law and Henry V

Em in a bar, en route to Jude Law and Henry V

Portrait of Dutty at our aunts for Christmas

Portrait of Em prior to facing rain and gale force winds



David at Wetherspoons with new Anarchy symbol tattoo on his wrist


Crazy Chris

Don't you hate it when you visit your favourite bar to find it's been transformed into a gothic dungeon type place

Luke with gargoyle in the Purple Turtle

Luke in the Purple Turtle

Ritchie & Sparky in the Purple Turtle

Ritchie posing for NEXT winter collection circa '94


Ritchie & Sparky in the Purple Turtle

Portrait of Leigh:
He features in this blog every other year or so. He's been a close friend all throughout primary school and high school. One of the few people I ever met who truly got Final Fantasy to the same degree I did. Now surfs a lot. 

Josh with 'Sick' tattoo

Sparky

Some guy I don't remember being harangued by Sparky for looking fully Aryan to hitler youth proportions. If I ever see him again, must apologise. 

Ross on shore-leave from the Navy, with eyebrow

No comments:

Post a Comment